Wickford, RI is a quaint waterfront village that’s worth a trip. It’s about 30 minutes from Providence and 20 minutes from Newport. Visiting the South County beaches? Wickford is just minutes away. If you enjoy strolling down small-town main streets and browsing in eclectic shops, Wickford, RI is for you. There are restaurant choices for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on what time you visit, and a fabulous bakery you won’t want to miss. Scroll down for details on shopping, restaurants and attractions.
A Peek at Some Favorite
Wickford, RI Stores
What’s nice about shopping in Wickford is that you’ll find an eclectic mix of small, local stores. From women’s clothing to jewelry to unusual gifts and household items, there’s something for everyone. It’s also a very pet-friendly village. Dogs are welcome to join you for outdoor dining and even in some stores. You’ll also find lots of water bowls on the sidewalks so Fido can stay hydrated. Here’s a taste of the stores you’ll find in Wickford, Rhode Island:
- The Book Garden is your top pick if you’re one of those people who can’t walk by a bookstore without going in. You’ll find a nice assortment of used books for adults and children.
- Nearby, look for The Grateful Heart for books related to meditation, philosophy, psychology and women’s issues.
- Family-owned Wilson’s of Wickford has been in business since 1944. Stop in for men’s or women’s apparel, with brands such as Tommy Bahama, Woolrich, The North Face and Pendleton.
- It’s hard to miss Lulabells because of its bright pink exterior. Inside, you’ll find a variety of gifts, household items and jewelry. Look for the eco-friendly cutting boards and serving dishes made from recycled bottles.
- Wickford is a dog-friendly community, and if you like to pamper your pet, you’ll want to be sure to stop in Shaggy Chic. You can pick up adorable collars and doggie sweaters as well as grooming items, treats and other necessities.
- For a wide variety of home decor and gift items, stop by the Yes! Gallery. You’ll find beautiful pottery, handmade artwork and even items that use recycled materials from Fenway Park (great for the Boston Red Sox fan in your life).
Restaurants in Wickford, Rhode Island
For an inexpensive diner breakfast, start your day at the Wickford Diner. While service can be hit or miss, the food (and coffee) hits the spot. For an inexpensive, hearty breakfast, try the Wickford Diner.
Beach Rose Cafe
This small, casual cafe serves breakfast and lunch, either inside or out on the deck overlooking Wickford Cove. (Bring your dog!) For lunch, choose from a variety of sandwiches, salads, wraps and paninis, as well as local seafood favorites like clam rolls, chowder and clamcakes. The outdoor seating at Beach Rose Cafe is nice in warmer weather.
Wild Flour Bakery
If you need a little pick-me-up after all that shopping, be sure to stop by the Wild Flour Bakery. When you see all the beautiful items in the display case (all reasonably priced), you may need several minutes to decide what to order. Coffee and gelato are also available. If you like sweets, don’t miss the Wild Flour Bakery.
Tavern by the Sea
If you’re looking for dinner in Wickford, this is your best option. Depending on the weather and your preference, you can sit inside or out on the casual, dog-friendly deck overlooking a small section of Wickford Cove. Most salads and sandwiches are under $10, with grilled pizzas just a bit more. Dinner entrees are in the $16-$20 range. Stop by on Tuesdays and you can get dinner for two (including two glasses of wine) for under $35. Tavern by the Sea is a popular dinner spot in Wickford.